« Home | words: "the paradox of modernity" » | On Learning from Nietzsche » | "elloquent bread" » | James K. A. Smith on the Vietnam of the Church » | Socializing Kids and Corporations » | Words: "even if there be no hell" » | Invisible, part II » | Invisible » | Praying on the 4th of July » | Jesus, John Calvin and Val Kilmer » 

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 

The Manchurian Consumer



When I can find a few minutes to do some reading that is not directly related to the academic projects I'm working on, I'm reading Kalle Lasn's brilliantly subversive book Culture Jam: How to Reverse America's Suicidal Consumer Binge - And Why We Must (Lasn is also the founder of ADBUSTERS Magazine). I came to the conclusion of his chapter "The Manchurian Consumer" and found the following selection that sounded both chilling and all too familiar:

Richard Condon’s 1959 novel, The Manchurian Candidate – which was turned into a movie Pauline Kael called ‘the most sophisticated political satire ever to come out of Hollywood’ – tells the story of an American soldier who is captured during the Korean War, shipped to Manchuria and groomed, via brainwashing, to become a robotic assassin programmed to kill the U.S. president upon a predetermined verbal command.

The subtext of the movie is that Americans are being depatterned by propaganda systems they may not understand or even be aware of. The modern consumer is indeed a Manchurian Candidate living in a trance. He has a vague notion that at some point early in his life, experiments were carried out on him, but he can’t remember much about them. While he was drugged, or too young to remember, ideas were implanted into his subconscious with a view to changing his behavior. The Manchurian Consumer has been programmed not to kill the president, but to go out and purchase things on one of a number of predetermined commands.

Slogans now come easily to his lips. He has warm feelings toward many products. Even his most intimate drives and emotions trigger immediate connections with consumer goods. Hunger equals Big Mac. Drowsiness equals Starbucks. Depression equals Prozac.

And what about that burning anxiety, that deep, almost forgotten feeling of alarm at his lost independence and sense of self? To the Manchurian Consumer, that’s the signal to turn on the TV.

Making me feel even better about being off the TV grid at our house!

Dvds and iTunes rock!

Yes!!

I literally threw my arms in the air when I saw this post. I read this book several years ago and it completely changed the way I looked at and listened to advertising.

Some buddies and I even hatched a plan to "liberate" a Mobil billboard. We were going to change it to read Mo'bikes. Thankfully, we never followed through and as a result I've never had the experience of a)Falling from a billboard riser or b)being arrested.

Still, I can't help but smile when I hear about something like this:
I literally threw my arms in the air when I saw this post. I read this book several years ago and it completely changed the way I looked at and listened to advertising.

Some buddies and I even hatched a plan to "liberate" a Mobil billboard. We were going to change it to read Mo'bikes. Thankfully, we never followed through and as a result I've never had the experience of a)Falling from a billboard riser or b)being arrested.

Still, I can't help but smile when I hear about something like this: http://www.billboardliberation.com/wp-content/need-grand-ls.jpg?v=0">http://www.billboardliberation.com/wp-content/need-grand-ls.jpg?v=0

uh...no idea what happened there...
here's the link

http://www.billboardliberation.com/wp-content/need-grand-ls.jpg?v=0

Post a Comment