« Home | Invisible, part II » | Invisible » | Praying on the 4th of July » | Jesus, John Calvin and Val Kilmer » | Crunchy Cons » | At Least He Didn't Smile » | "Where Can I Flee from Your Presence" » | Glen Pillips, a Guitar and a Tape Recorder » | I Could Use Some Help! » | Blessed Art Thou Among... Jedi??? » 

Saturday, November 04, 2006 

Words: "even if there be no hell"

I'm not finding much time for blogging these days, but I'm going to at least try to throw some quotes up here from time to time as I come across things. I'm sitting in my new favorite coffee house, listening to Radiohead and reading John Calvin [does life get any better?]. Despite the bad rap that Calvin gets due to many of those that like to use his name, he actually said some pretty good stuff. I'm reading through Book Three of the Institutes and came across this gem:

"For he who ponders within himself what God the Father is like toward us has cause enough, even if there be no hell, to dread offending him more gravely than any death" (III.ii.26).

Grant, Lord, that we your children would be so captivated by the thought of your great love for us - that love so profoundly displayed in your Son, our Savior, the Lord Jesus - that we might indeed come to dread offending you. Lord, hear our prayer.

barry,
let's do gachet on thursday! i love that place, too, but lost my "go to gachet together" friend to the call to ministry.

Post a Comment