« Home | An Idea for All of Us Table and Fire Junkies » | Bono a Prophet? » | The Melancholy Dane » | Three Year Old Eschatology » | We Are the World » | Just Like Jesus Did? » | How Emergent Are You? » | On the Virtue of Keeping a Notebook » | Soul Searching » | The Truth We See » 

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 

Fives

Several of us Table and Fire Junkies are passing the time that the forum is down by blogging about our "Fives Lists," which I originally saw on Will Samson's blog. Russ, Gigi, and Amber have already posted there lists. Here are mine:


Five Things to Do Before I Die

  • Spend two weeks with my wife, a good guidebook, and a rental car in Italy
  • Publish a book with a reputable publishing company
  • Learn to play chess
  • Hike the Grand Canyon with my kids
  • Own a cabin in the mountains where I can sit on the porch and read for hours on end

Five Things I Cannot Do

  • Dance
  • Sing harmony
  • Stay away from Table and Fire
  • Listen very long to Christian talk radio without my blood pressure going up
  • Survive another Midwest winter (it was 5 degrees here today)

Five People I Would Most Like to Hang Out With For a Day

  • Bob Dylan
  • Bono
  • Desmond Tutu
  • Fredrick Buechner
  • Jurgen Moltmann (one of the most important theologians of the latter half of the 20th century; converted in the German Amry when given a Bible while stuck in a British prison camp during WWII)

Five Most Influential (Non-Scriptural) Books on My Thinking

Five Things That Continue to Attract Me About My Wife

  • She is the least pretentious person I know and has a wonderful ability to make people feel at ease in her presence (myself, most of all)
  • She is a great conversation partner
  • She is incredibly thoughtful, both in the sense of being kind and considerate, and in the sense that she thinks carefully and deeply
  • She makes me laugh A LOT
  • She is far too beautiful for a guy like me, but she doesn’t mind being seen with me in public anyway (or at least she doesn’t let on if she does)
Five Movies That I Would Watch Over and Over Again

Five Things I Wish for My Children

  • That they would have well-formed imaginations and insatiable curiosities so as to ask meaningful questions in life
  • That they would love to read deeply and broadly so as to find meaningful answers in life
  • That they would make deep and lasting friendships that would sustain them through all of life’s challenges and bring them great joy
  • That they would make enough mistakes to learn important lessons but not so many or so great as to be plagued with scars or regret
  • That they would not be so attatched to this world that they would fail to give themselves away for God and other people

Barry -
We've really got to converse more! I'm not a frequent table & fire reader/poster, cause there is just way too much for me to keep up with. I tried it for a while, but found it too hard for me to keep engaged.
BUT, your "fives" list is full of greatness, and I especially echo your booklist and wanted to respond to you!
I haven't read _Kierkegaard Anthology_ or _Resident Aliens_ but I have the rest and would higly consider putting them on my own list (perhaps coming soon to thoseawake.com).
I admire your blog posts and think it's amazing your going for a PhD out at Wheaton. I hope all is well for you and your family this season.
peace,
-shaun

Thanks for the encouragement, Shaun. I've been a fan of thoseawake for a while now. As I said a few weeks back on bloguss, any blog with Wendell Berry quotes is okay by me.

*Resident Aliens* is a very thought provoking book on church and culture. Hauerwas is one of the most entertaining and provocative theologians around. He's the son of a Texas brick layer who was trained at Yale, wears cowboy boots, and cusses like a sailor. He now teaches at Duke. He doesn’t think you can be a Christian and not be a pacifist (not a proposition I agree with, but one I’ve had to wrestle with a lot since I started reading his stuff). He spoke at the Emergent Theological Conversation a few years back and I think you can still download the audio files at the emergentvillage website.

If you're interested in checking out Kierkegaard, I recommend *Provocations: The Spiritual Writings of Kierkegaard*. The definitive anthology is called *The Essential Kierkegaard*. The one I listed is not the best one, but was definitely the most influential on my thinking.

Great! Thanks.
I'll start by checking into _Resident Aliens_; he sounds intriuging. I am trying to read through a lot of Wendell Berry here lately, and everything I read is thought-provoking.
I'm also reading _Mealtime Habits of the Messiah_ by Conrad Gempf (recommended on the tallskinnykiwi blog a while back). He's a prof at the London School of Theology (I'm learning) and I'm finding it a refreshing book - with a twist.

Anyway, after reading McLaren, I began to think that seminaries and Theology schools were stuck somewhere "else," but obviously there are many great things going on around the country and the world! All I've been exposed to here is IBC's connection with DTS ... and I think I've gotten used to the ideas, the jargon, etc. (can I say that?). I've thought about going to seminary, but without going to DTS, I don't know how to start "looking."
I might be looking for something a little different, if you know what I mean.

Barry -

Like the lists idea. I have to comment on Jurgen Moltmann. Remember the article I sent your way? Moltmann had some interesting thoughts on Christians participating in violent revolutions (Religion, Revolution, and the Future). He also, if I remember correctly, was somewhat in favor of Liberation Theology...I may be WAY off there, but I believe he was somewhat associated with this "marxist" interpretation of the gospel.

I'd be interested in any further thoughts you might have on him in the future if you have time.

Nate

Oh, one more thing. I just wanted to say that your lists are indicative of the diversity of opinion within the Church. Hauerwas and Moltmann, I think would disagree on the use of violence, yet both are professed Christians.

I haven't ready any of Hauerwas's work, although I was made aware of it when researching the Church's take on violence and government. He published "The Peaceable Kingdom" which I'd like to read sometime.

Nate

s.o.,

We need to hang out and talk seminary sometime. I’ll be in town for Christmas, though I’ll be pretty busy working on my dissertation. If nothing else, maybe we can exchange emails on the subject.

Nate,

My choice of Moltmann for my “fives” list has more to do with an interest in his biography than with an endorsement of his theology. As I mentioned, he’s one of the most important theologians of the latter half of the 20th century and I think his story is very interesting. He’s one of the few WWII era theologians still living (though his theological contributions came well after WWII). I’ve only read his most famous and important book, *Theology of Hope.* I do know that he has expressed sympathy with liberation theologians and that they have found great inspiration from his work. This comes from his insistence that Christians should never be satisfied with this world and its social structures, but should strive to see the justice that will characterize the eschaton realized here and now (thus, his ‘Marxist leanings’ influenced by the philosopher Ernst Bloch and his *Principle of Hope*).

You’re right to note that Hauerwas and Moltmann are very different. Hauerwas’s focus (based upon the influence of the Anabaptist tradition) is on radical faithfulness rather than social transformation. He is perhaps the most compelling voice advocating Christian pacifism writing for the church today. I think *Resident Aliens* is the best entry point into his work. I think you’d love it. Check out the amazon.com reviews.

Barry-

I didn't mean to imply endorsement of all views, but rather merely asking for further comments on the man. :-)

If books published could be used as an indicator, I'd have no doubt he was influencial, but your additional comments have sparked an interest in reading into him further.

I'll check out Resident Aliens...always looking for good books to read in the future.

Thanks,
Nate

p.s. Don't tell anyone, but I've got a blog in the works, after some prompting. ;) I'm going to try and polish up the previous article/discussion piece I sent you for starters, well, perhaps after I do my 5's.

Post a Comment